How to Become a School Governor
'School governors are people who want to make a positive contribution to children’s education'
- National Association of Governors 2014.
The school's Governing Body is a voluntary panel of individuals whose role is key to the overall effectiveness of a school and in raising standards.
The main role of a school Governor is to provide strategic leadership and accountability in schools. Governors are involved in the appointment of the school's Headteacher and other staff.
Every school Governor, makes up part of the Governing Body and is established by law as a corporate body. Governors do not act independently; all descisions made by Governors are the joint responsibility of the Governing Body.
The National Association of Governors outlines the key functions of the Governing Body as:
setting aims and objectives for the school
- setting policies for achieving aims and objectives
- setting target for achieving aims and objectives
- monitoring and evaluating the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives
- being a source of challenge and support to the Headteacher (critical friend)
Most adults (18 years+) can apply to become a school Governor; you do not require any specific qualifications other than a willingness to dedicate time to your role as Governor and a capacity for working alongside other individuals as a united body. Within each school there are different categories of Governers including:
- Parent Governors
- Staff Governors
- Community Governors
- Local Authority Governors
The type of Governor you could become will depend on personal situations/circumstances; all Governors are bound to the same roles and responsibilities.
If you would like more information about becoming a school Governor or would like to apply please use the following links to find out about application process and current vacancies:
Contact school directly via the school office
- Contact Barnsley Local Authority at: https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/education-learning-and-childcare/schools-and-colleges/school-governors
- Contact SGOSS which recruits Governors nationally
We currently have the following positions vacant on our Governing Body:
Parent Governors (x2)
Community Governors (x2)
- Local Authority (x2)
For more information about school Governance and the roles and responsibilities of school Governors please explore the the following sites: