All schools have admission criteria to decide which children get places.
Admission criteria is different for each school and schools may give priority to children:
- who have a brother or sister at the school already
- who live close to the school
- from a particular religion (for faith schools)
- who do well in an entrance exam (for selective schools, eg grammar schools or stage schools)
- who went to a particular primary school (a ‘feeder school’)
- in care or being looked after (all schools must have this as a top priority)
Application for a Milefield Primary School Place (September):
Children born between 1st September 2014 and 31st August 2015 will be ready to start school in September 2020. If you would like to apply for a place for your child/children at Milefield Primary School please visit Barnsley Local Authority Site by following this link: https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/education-learning-and-childcare/schools-and-colleges/school-admissions-and-transfers/primary-school-places
On this site parents/carers will be able to:
- apply for a child's place
- find further information about admission and admission procedures
Before parents/carers apply for their child's a place, it is advisable to look at the information in the Barnsley Local Authority Booklet 'Admission to School 2019-20 which can be downloaded from the BMBC site by clicking here.
To support parents/carers with the admission process some useful information from the Barnsley Local Authority site has been included below:
Application for a Place
Online admissions closed on 15 January 2019. To apply for a place, parents/carers should complete the primary application form (which can be downloaded online) and return it to the Headteacher of the first choice school.
Completing the Application (if you live in Barnsley)
Parents/carers can include up to three schools on the application, which should be ranked in order of preference – 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Preferences can include any primary school in Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield, Wakefield or Kirklees.
If the preferred school is outside Barnsley, it’s always best to get in touch with the council in that area to check their admissions criteria.
Parents/carers applying for a place at a voluntary aided school, will need to complete the school’s supplementary information form and attach any documents they ask for. The form is available from primary schools or from School Admissions.
Once completed, forms can be handed in to the first preference school or sent to School Admissions. Please ensure the school gives you a receipt for your application, which you need to keep.
Please note, for parents/carers who do not live in Barnsley, the Barnsley application form or Barnsley's online system should not be used. Instead, contact should be made with the school admissions service at your local council for a copy of their school admissions booklet and form.
Tips for Completing the Application
- Ensure the information included is accurate
- Complete all sections of the application
- Ensure all forms and letters are signed - you may need to provide proof of guardianship
- If asked for proof of change of address, a tenancy agreement or solicitor's letter confirming exchange of contracts can be used
- If asked to provide copies of documents confirming your child is registered at your address, any of the following can be provided: child benefit book; information relating to Working Tax Credit/Childcare Tax Credit; letter from your doctor/hospital appointment/dentist; child's bank statement; medical card.
What Happens Next
Barnsley LA will contact to inform parents/carers of the name of the school at which your child's place can be offered. For online applications an email will be sent.
If a place is available at parents/carers first preference school: your child will be offered a place there.
If there are only places available at your second or third preference schools: your child will be offered a place at one of these schools, but their name will be placed on the waiting lists of any schools which were ranked higher.
If places are available at more than one of the schools you prefer: your child will be offered a place at the school you’ve ranked highest on your form.
If places aren’t available at any of the schools you prefer: your child will be offered a place at the school nearest your address that has places available.
If parents/carers do not want to accept the place offered, they must tell School Admissions in writing within 10 working days of receiving the offer.
Make an Appeal
If parents/carers do not get a place for their child at the preferred school, an appeal to an independent appeal panel can be conducted. To do this, parents/carers must complete a notice of appeal form (available from the BMBC site) and return it to School Admissions by the deadline stipulated.
Appeals will be held between May and July each year. Please be aware infant class size legislation must be adhered to and this may determine the type of appeal.
For further information in relation to admissions please contact:
Call: 01226 773689/773588/773677/773506
Fax: 01226 773682
Write: School Admissions, Directorate for Children, Young People and Families, PO Box 634, Barnsley S70 9GG
Office hours: Monday to Thursday from 8.30am to 5pm and Fridays from 8.30am to 4.30pm